Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is going to give lectures in Fukuoka and Kyushu on Aug. 1 and 2. He also agrees to meet with Kyodo's reporters. According to the gaishinbu people here in Bangkok, Okuma san, former Bangkok correspondent and Ueda san who is soon to be posted to Bangkok will interview him. I wonder if any Kaigaibu people will join it. I remember that May san used to join Okuma san.
Although Thaksin's influence is a bit fading at the moment, he is still a man Thai public thirsty for. So if he will be vocal, I think media in Thailand will be interested in our story. As you know, his wife was just convicted by the Criminal Court, which is the first instance court, on tax evasion related to a multi-million-bath shares transaction to her stepbrother. Thaksin himself and his wife are tried on another case which he was alleged of abusing power to enable her to get a prime land in Bangkok at cheap price. Many more cases will be out against Thaksin including an allegation that he gained ''unusal rich'' after five years in the office. The Office of Attorney General and the National Counter Corruption Commission have just concluded that an indictment will be lodged to the Supreme Court's Division for Holders of Political Positions soon. They alleged him of abnormally gaining 76 billion baht wealth during the tenure.
In recent political development in Thailand, Thaksin was said to have been disappointed by his proxy Samak Sundaravej as the Prime Minister named a retired career diplomat Tej Bunnag as new foreign minister instead of appointing another person who is closer to him. It has been expected that Thaksin needs an obedient foreign minister because he may need a lot of international support in the near future. Some even speculate that he might have to go on an exile.
Well, I just want to say that I hope there will be a kaigaibu colleague documenting the interview.
what do you think?
Varunee in Bangkok
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the heads up Varunee.
Although it's not possible to send someone all the way down to Kyushu to cover it, it will still likely be translated by Kaigaibu.
i c. i hope he says anything worthwhile. thank you.
I hope so too. Anyway, I'll leave a note for Tim and May to make sure they know about it.
Post a Comment